Theodor Baierl (German, 1881-1932), active in
St John the Baptist
right 'Theodor Baierl'
oil on panel
with cradle stretcher in original Aedicula gilt frame with Renaissance style
decoration, and label verso
Francis Swithinbank, Vicar of Clare, Suffolk [he was vicar from 1931 to 1962], who
obtained the painting from a fellow clergyman during a visit to Munich [in the
late 1930’s or 1940’s], and subsequent descent within the family after his
death in 1962. For more than 60 years, in the Swithinbank family.
2008 Cheffins, Cambridge, UK
1930 'Muenchener Kunstausstellung im Glaspalast,'
Munich Art Exhibition, Crystal Palace, Munich (old exhibition label on the
Baierl, retrospective exhibition at the Palacio das Janelas Verdes (the
National Museum of Art), Lisbon. Reverend
Francis seems to have acquired the painting sometime after the 1937 exhibition.
1937 José de Figueiredo, Catálogo da Exposição de Pintura e Desenho de Teodoro Baierl (Lisbon:
Palacio das Janelas Verdes, 1937), cat. no. 16.